Headquartered in Clarksburg, Maryland, Thales Defense & Security, Inc. seeks a Manager of Trade Compliance.
Thales Defense & Security, Inc. is a global company serving the defense, federal, and commercial markets with innovative solutions for the ground tactical, airborne and avionics, naval/maritime, and public safety and security domains. In addition to mission-critical communication systems, the company provides helmet-mounted displays and motion tracking technologies; SATCOM terminals; advanced sonar systems; air traffic management navigation, surveillance, and simulation; and data protection solutions. Furthermore, the company serves as a gateway for technology, leveraging Thales-wide solutions—such as combat management systems; naval, airborne, and ground ISR; and electronic warfare—to address U.S. requirements.
The Manager of Trade Compliance is an Empowered Official of the company with ownership of the development, management and implementation of the Local Compliance Program; performing activities in accordance with the Country Internal Compliance Program (ICP) and Thales Group standards to ensure compliance with the export control and import laws and regulations in all countries in which the company does business. Responsibilities include:
- Serve as Sr. Empowered Official and DTRADE Super User
- Serve as Technology Control Officer under Proxy Agreement
- Review, augment, and draft trade compliance policies and procedures as necessary (i.e., Technology Control Plan, Desk-Top Procedures, etc.)
- Audit performance of trade compliance activities to relevant policies and procedures
- Report to Company management and Government Security Committee (“GSC”) on Trade Compliance risk assessments
- Attend and provide appropriate input to Business Development and Program Reviews; provide input to capture teams for Gate reviews; review new business opportunities for trade compliance risks and provide guidance at pre-bid level
- Direct activities to strategically align trade compliance with business initiatives
- Provide trade compliance training
- Draft, submit and administer ITAR 124 Agreements, Amendments and Re-Baseline Agreements
- Review and approve export licenses for ITAR/EAR commodities
- Oversea preparation and submittal of export licenses
- Provide ITAR/EAR jurisdiction classification
- Maintain relationship with freight forwarders, assist with the creation of shipment documentation for all international shipments
- Provide guidance and assistance for the import clearance for all imported products
- Assist with preparation of documentation and the coordination of import and export activities related to both permanent and temporary shipments
- Ensure proper transmittal of technical data to foreign entities
- Submit disclosure of potential trade compliance violations if necessary
- Review and ensure the maintenance of proper record-keeping of all shipments of hardware and technical data exports, prepare reports to USG as required
- Support Business Mergers and Acquisitions related to trade compliance.
The preceding functions provided are examples of the type of work performed by employees assigned to this job classification. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
Overall supervision and management of the Export/Import Group; oversight of export/import compliance at multiple locations. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, training and developing employees; planning, assigning and directing work; performance appraisals, rewarding and providing for employee discipline when required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Requirements and Skills:
- Ability to work closely with various functional areas to promote international business while staying within the bounds of regulatory constraints
- Positively project Export Group as a valuable support function to the organization
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite of Software Applications
- Proficient in D-Trade License Submittal Application
- Ability to obtain security clearance (this requires US Citizenship)
- Occasional domestic and international travel required.
Education and Experience:
- 5+ years of Trade Compliance experience
- Thorough knowledge of ITAR/EAR regulations including familiarity with available exemptions
- Knowledge of the FTR, Census and Customs & Border Protection regulations
- Background in/familiarity with international logistics management, including understanding of the HTS/Schedule B commodity identification regimes
- Familiarity with Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Previous supervisory experience
- Working Knowledge of OCR Ease System desirable
- Bachelor's Degree in business or technical field.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be able to walk, sit, stand, & work with computers up to 8 hours a day in an office, cube, lab and/or in manufacturing environments. Employee must be able to work around or near engineering and manufacturing materials and products such as Isopropanol Alcohol, Adhesives, Solder, Fluxes, Epoxies, RTV, plastics, metals, batteries, wires, components, etc. Employee must be able to travel domestically and internationally up to 25%.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Please submit your resume for this excellent opportunity!
Thales Defense & Security, Inc. participates in the United States Department of Homeland Security's E-Verify program.
Thales Defense & Security, Inc. is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer. We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce.